Friday, February 5, 2010

New Tail Vise













As I started my first cuts on the new Cigar Box Lap Steel Guitar build I quickly realized I was working with the wrong vise.

As I was using the Japanese Ryoba handsaw I noticed it was dancing off my marked lines a bit due to vibration. Not wanting to spoil my work I stopped right there and started shopping online for the correct vise to be using.

I finally took the advice of a tool shop I use in Hartville, Ohio named Hartville Tools. They pointed me to Lee Valley Tools in Canada for good quality inexpensive wood vices.

I ended up ordering and receiving, complete with assembly plans, their tail vise screw set with plates and turn handle. I will end up drilling a couple of large holes and adding some wood for the jaws.

All in all this should give me the space and clamping power I need to cut out any vibration so there will be no more dancing off my cutting guidelines.

1 comment:

Words To Live By said...

It always helps to have the right tools when doing a project. I usually start something and find I don't have a certain tool I need. Fun going to the hardware store though. Gives an excuse to buy man toys.