Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Cigar Box Lap Steel Guitar - Beginning

I must apologize for not posting to Wood Finery for the past 6 weeks. I had my left knee replaced and it took a real toll on me physically and mentally! I am doing much better now and attending physical therapy twice weekly. Still some swelling but certainly moving forward!

I have decided it is high time to build my first ever Cigar Box Lap Steel Guitar! The picture in the upper right corner shows my humble beginnings. You have to start somewhere, right?

I'm using a red oak blank cut to 32 inches long x 4 inches wide x 1-9/16 inches thick, a piece of leopardwood for the fret board and beautifully lacquered cigar box that I ended up paying a pretty penny for (but I think it will really be worth it).

At this point I have the lines laid out to make the peg head cuts and will start cutting this weekend. I'm taking this project it bit slowly as my knee allows.

Stay tuned as I post more pictures of my progress. I think this one will be a real sweet sounding beauty!

2 comments:

Ted Crocker said...

Hi Norm, hope everything's ok. Be careful when healing, don't push it.

I started a new network about all types of homemmade instruments - the Handmade Music Clubhouse at http://HandmadeMusicClubhouse.com.
you'll recognize a lot of the great folks.

See ya there!

Ted Crocker

Unknown said...

Thanks for the post Ted and thoughts! I'll check out http://HandmadeMusicClubhouse.com