Saturday, October 17, 2009

Finished Cuesta Rey Cigar Box Guitar

Alright after a little “fine tuning” so to speak I finally have my latest build the Red Cuesta Rey Cigar Box Guitar to where I like it!

I ended up completely redoing the fret nut and replacing it with of all things a brass toilet bolt. Why you may ask? Simply because it was large enough in diameter to fill my needs. I used a hacksaw blade to deepen some notches in the threads to hold the strings in place.

Completely remaking the bridge was another piece I wanted to change. I ended up using a nice piece of scrap wood called padauk. Padauk has a reddish or orange color to it. I chose padauk because of the overall red background in this particular Cuesta Rey cigar box.

Using my fret saw I placed a cut diagonally across the wood and glued a piece of fret wire in place. From there I sanded off any excess wood so that a slope was created from the edges up to the crown of the fret. This allows the strings to come in contact with the metal fret wire and not the wood.

A bonus I wanted to share with you in having to go find parts for the retrofit. I ended up at my local family owned “non-big box” hardware store. I made new friends, found a potential source from one of the clerks for antique cigar boxes and found the store sells old brass cabinet pull knobs and handles. These knobs and handles look great on CBG’s!

In this particular build I purchased a larger Cuesta Rey cigar box for the main guitar body and a smaller Cuesta Rey cigar box of the same style for parts. I used parts of the smaller box lid to dress up the guitars headstock. I also used a piece of the bottom of the smaller box to dress up the tailpiece.

I did not add a fret board this time around but relied on the natural beauty of red oak that the neck is made out of. The neck was shaped by hand. Since I intended this CBG for all slide work I did not include frets. I did, however, inlay multi-colored wood veneer strips in the correct fret positions.

All in all I am very pleased the way my little red Cuesta Rey cigar box guitar turned out. She sounds great when plugged into an amp!

2 comments:

Words To Live By said...

It is always nice to finish a project, then stand back and admire it and pat oneself on the back. I admire your handy work and the time and effort you give to the detail.

Wood Finery said...

Thanks Steve I always appreciate comments. This one turned out well. I've always enjoyed craftsmanship as it tends to turn the creative side on/up the more it's utilized.